Admission Requirements for MAT program
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 (4.0 scale).
- Passing scores on Praxis Core (reading, writing, math) tests or master’s degree or ACT composite score of at least 22 or SAT combined verbal and math score of at least 1100 (1030 prior to March 2016.).
- Passing score/s on the Praxis II content test(s) in teaching area/grade level.
- Candidates for early childhood grades PK-3: pass early childhood content specific test(s). See Praxis II content tests requirements in Louisiana at TeachLouisiana.
- Candidates for elementary grades 1-5 (regular education and mild/moderate special education): pass elementary content specific test(s). See Praxis II content tests requirements in Louisiana at TeachLouisiana.
- Candidates for middle grades 4-8 (regular education and mild/moderate special education): pass middle school content area (mathematics, English/language arts, science, social studies) test(s). See Praxis II content tests requirements in Louisiana at TeachLouisiana.
- Candidates for secondary grades 6-12 (regular education and mild/moderate special education): pass secondary subject-specific test(s) for the content area in which they seek certification. See Praxis II content tests required in Louisiana at TeachLouisiana
- Admission to NSU Graduate School (GRE is NOT required for alternate certification programs)
Admission Requirements for PREP Alternate Certification
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited university
- *Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- *Passing scores on Praxis Core Reading, Writing, and Mathematics (Praxis I PPST will be accepted if passed prior to September 1, 2014.) An earned master’s degree, and ACT composite of at least 22, or a SAT combined reading and math score of at least 1100 (1030 prior to March 2016) substitute for Praxis Core. Please send Praxis and ACT/SAT scores directly to TEACHNorthwestern@nsula.edu.
- *Passing scores on the Praxis content specific examinations in the certification area pursued:
Elementary Education (1-5): Content Knowledge exam (5001), Middle Level 4-8: Varies by subject area or
Secondary 6-12: Varies by subject area
*Provisional enrollment (up to 9 hours) is allowed for candidates who have not yet met all admission requirements (Praxis Core of Content exams or GPA between 2.2 < 2.5). An interview is required for all students not meeting the admission requirements.
Retention in PREP Alternate Certification
If a person is admitted with a GPA 2.2<2.5, they must meet the following criteria for a Level 1 license:
- Complete an interview protocol with at least one program official when NSU determines their potential as a teacher.
- Earn a GPA of 3.0 or higher in the first 12 hours of PREP program
- Pass all competencies required by LDOE for program completion
- Successfully pass all coursework, licensure tests, field experiences, and any additional NSU requirements
- Program will complete attestation of their interview, GPA in first 12 hours, and competencies on Level 1 application
Retention in Alternate Certification Programs
- Candidates must maintain Graduate School enrollment eligibility.
- Candidates must earn grades no lower than “C” in certification courses.
- Candidates must maintain a cumulative grade point average no lower than 2.50.
(Candidates who are not eligible for retention in one alternate certification program may not transfer to another alternate certification program at Northwestern.)
Completing Alternate Certification Programs
- Candidates enrolled in the M.A.T. and non-master’s music education programs must pass the Praxis II pedagogy test in order to enroll in internship courses.
- Candidates enrolled in the practitioner program must pass the Praxis II pedagogy test in order to be eligible for Louisiana licensure.
Apply to an NSU alternate certification program in four easy steps!
Step 1. Complete an online application for admission to the NSU Graduate School here
Step 2. Submit official transcripts to both the NSU Graduate School (for admission to NSU) and TEACHNorthwestern (for teacher licensure and certification). For more information, click here.
Step 3. Submit a resume, complete the Louisiana Department of Education Professional Conduct Form, and submit official Praxis Core and Content scores (if you have taken those tests). These forms and information may be submitted electronically to TEACHNorthwestern@nsula.edu or by mail to the Office of Teacher Candidacy and Certification, NSU School of Education, Natchitoches, LA 71497.
Step 4. Register for and present passing scores on the following examinations:
- Praxis Core Reading, Writing and Mathematics tests. If you have an earned Master’s degree, an ACT composite score of at least 22, or an SAT combined verbal and math score of at least 1030, the Praxis Core exam is not required.
- Praxis Content Area exam in your certification area. (Information regarding tests required by Louisiana is available on the last pages of the alternate certification packet.)
When we receive your Graduate School application, a questionnaire will be emailed to you. Please complete and return electronically to TEACHNorthwestern@nsula.edu